When it comes to enjoying a nice summer night outside you’re going to want to make sure you’re protected from mosquitoes. Trying to prevent bug bites can sometimes seem like an uphill battle, especially when you’re dealing with annoying mosquitoes. Bug spray isn’t cheap, and it’s known to contain some pretty controversial chemicals that may not be everyone’s first choice to throw on their families. Most sprays contain the chemical DEET, which has been studied and is known to cause neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory, and concentration. If you want to stay away from store bought spray but also need to make sure bugs stay away from you, try out this DIY bug spray.
Essential Oil Mosquito SprayEssential oils have gained an exponential growth of popularity in recent years due to their unique smells and healing traits some may associate with their use. If you have your own essential oils, use them to make your own bug spray.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 30 drops of geranium essential oil
- 30 drops citronella essential oil
- 20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 TBSP vodka or rubbing alcohol
- ½ cup natural witch hazel
- ½ cup water
How to Use
- Put all of your essential oils in a spray bottle, add vodka or rubbing alcohol and shake well
- Pour in witch hazel and shake
- Add water and shake again